What is it?
Fibromyalgia, also called fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), is a long-term rheumatic condition characterised by muscular or musculoskeletal pain with stiffness and localized tenderness at specific points on the body. People with fibromyalgia may also experience some of the following symptoms:
- increased sensitivity to pain
- fatigue (extreme tiredness)
- muscle stiffness
- difficulty sleeping
- problems with mental processes (known as “fibro-fog”) – such as problems with memory and concentration
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – a digestive condition that causes stomach pain and bloating
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known, but it’s thought to be related to abnormal levels of certain chemicals in the brain and changes in the way the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord and nerves) processes pain messages carried around the body.
It’s also suggested that it may have a genetic link in some people.
Who does it affect?
Anyone can develop fibromyalgia, although it affects around seven times as many women as men. The condition typically develops between the ages of 30 and 50, but can occur in people of any age, including children and the elderly.
What’s the treatment?
There is currently no cure for fibromyalgia, but there are treatments to help relieve some of the symptoms and make the condition easier to live with.
Treatment tends to be a combination of:
- medication – such as antidepressants and painkillers
- talking therapies – such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)and counselling
- lifestyle changes – such as exercise programmes and relaxation techniques
BodyBilt for fibromyalgia
BodyBilt chairs have often been recommended for people with fibromyalgia because they can be accurately adjusted through the 12 point posture control, giving support where needed. They also offer totally bespoke options like the ‘ish dish’ or ‘memory foam’ to help relieve pressure and provide more sensitive cushioning.
Get in touch to see how we can help if you have fibromyalgia.